Tuesday, January 5, 2016

OUGD402: Personal Work - Don't Be A Prick

These were dotted around too sporadically. 

This is the design of text I'm going to use and quote. 

Adding colour didn't help. Still too many cacti.

The type is too big, the cacti are too small.

Still nope.

Better, but the composition is wrong.
The final design!

Actual images from my shop:
www.everythingisfine.bigcartel.com

www.everythingisfine.bigcartel.com


I really want to experiment more with drawing and hand lettering so at the beginning of December I made it a regular occurrence to start doodling again. Not serious drawing, just in a little notebook I would create small sketches or try to hand letter some quotes or type. I have 3 small cacti on my window sill so I decided to do a little life sketch of them. They turned into little illustrations and I decided to put a funny quote with it. I then spent the rest of the day developing this illustration and asked for feedback from my flatmates throughout the process. I then decided to create this as a little A6 art print. So off to the manufacturer it went and in December 2015 I started selling them to friends and online. Under the url www.everythingisfine.bigcartel.com. I decided to create a little online shop because it helps me to gain the confidence to put my work out there and it is something personal I can do alongside my degree. Since then it has also been released as a notebook. I liked the process of asking for advice on how it should look. What would be conceptual and marketable. The way my flatmates agreed was that "you see the illustration first, then the funny little quote" which is the hierarchy in which I designed it too. I feel like doing this experiment helped me get back into drawing and hopefully I will get back into painting (watercolours). This also made me more confident in asking for feedback from peers and other students; it was nice having the opinion of students that are studying different degrees (illustration, photography and animation).

No comments:

Post a Comment