Monday, May 1, 2017

OUGD502: Studio Brief 02 - Creative Presence - Sophie Corrigan, Illustrator Interview

Sophie Corrigan is my favourite illustrator and one of the inspirations behind why I chose an art degree instead of an academic degree as I was originally going to do law at university. She said “I think it’s important to do what makes you happy - if you’re doing something you’re not that into you won’t do it well. Likewise if you’re passionate and dedicated to something it will work out.”
Why did you chose to study at University of Central Lancashire?
“To be honest I didn’t put a lot of thought into it – looking back I should have considered where would be best really! But as I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do (although I knew it was going to be art-related) I chose UCLan as it was my closest Uni, and both my siblings had gone there. I’m very pleased in retrospect though that I went with UCLan, as my tutors have been great and I’ve come to love the place! It also allowed me to save money that I wouldn’t have if I’d have stayed in a dorm somewhere, as opposed to commuting from home.”
Was the illustration course what you expected it to be?
“I sort of went into illustration blind when I started the course – I’d come from an art and design foundation course and a tutor recommended I did illustration. I didn’t have much of an idea of what the course would be like and had no expectations really, but it sounded quite fun with more of a direction than a regular fine art course. The first couple of years into the course I was still finding my feet as an illustrator – but my tutors were always very helpful and supportive. It was only in my 3rd year that I feel like I found my ‘style’ and realised the course was only what you wanted to make of it, and illustration is actually a very open-ended subject.”
What was the biggest struggle in University you faced?
“I was very concerned with me liking my own work – for the first few years I was never proud of it and it never felt like ‘me’. At first I was very daunted by the briefs I was set – after years in school and college where they tell you exactly how drawing should be, it was sort of a process of un-learning what I’d been taught about what makes art ‘good’. I knew how I liked to draw, but thought it might be seen as ‘wrong’ and people wouldn’t get it or appreciate it.”
How did you overcome it?
“I only started to feel like I was getting somewhere when I stopped worrying about what people might want my work to look like, and just had fun with drawing again. I experimented a lot with medium and weird styles (basically got back to drew me to drawing and art in the first place!) that was the point when I started to make work that I liked – my tutors seemed to like it too, so it was a bit of an epiphany!”
What is your favourite freelance project you have worked on so far?
“I’m working on a few children’s book projects at the minute – and these have been the most fun projects I’ve had yet, I think. Working on my own stuff (little series like my ‘anatomy’, ‘not evil animals’ and ‘thingimals’) is always very satisfying and enjoyable too. For commissioned work, I think my favourite project was one I did last year for PinstaPals – a start-up company who asked me to design 5 dog and food related enamel pins. They had a very similar vision to me for what they were after, and they gave me a lot of creative freedom. There was a physical end product too, which is always very special I think!”
How do you go about getting work, do you get contacted or do you apply for work?
“I’ve been very lucky in that in most instances I’ve been contacted by people who want to commission me. I think this is down to the online presence I’ve built myself over the last few years – getting my work seen on facebook, Instagram and my own website has been invaluable to me getting work. In some cases though, I’ve made contact companies directly and asked if they’re after illustration work (again it’s very helpful to have a website to show people your portfolio, and business cards on-hand). It can be risky to put your work online as there’s always the chance people will steal your ideas, but I think for me it’s been a risk worth taking as it’s led to lots of opportunities – and people tend to try and find and credit the artist anyway!”
How long have you been building your practise?
“I’d say since my 2nd year of my illustration course – I think that was when I started a website and began to take illustration seriously. So I think around four years? But before that I was always drawing, and as a child is was my favourite pastime. I’m always trying to improve my work and push myself – being naturally shy it’s not easy to put yourself out there! But I’ve found if you push yourself, and create work you’re happy with, things get easier.”
What are three things you have learnt through being an independent illustrator?
“It’s extremely important to utilise social media and online presence (don’t be afraid to share), never undervalue yourself or your time (working for ‘exposure’ doesn’t pay bills!), and the harder you work the luckier you get!”
What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
“That’s a difficult one… I suppose don’t take things too seriously, and don’t be afraid to play!”
What is a piece of advice you would give to someone else?
“Create exactly what you enjoy and nothing but!”
I’d like to thank Sophie for taking the time to give me in-depth answers to my questions. You can find Sophie here:

No comments:

Post a Comment